Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Self Tanner Reviews: Part 2 Post #1

Today I will be reviewing three self-tanners in three separate posts:
  1. Jergen's Natural Glow Express Body Moisturizer in Medium/Tan
  2. Jergen's Natural Glow Firming Moisturizer in Medium/Tan
  3. L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Luminous Bronzer
I have heard great things about all three of these self-tanners, and in my search to find one that was right for me, I bought and tried all three!
Firstly, Jergen's Natural Glow Express Body Moisturizer can be found at any major drugstore.  It runs around $9/bottle for 4 oz. Some of my thoughts on this self-tanner:

Pros:
  • It is one of the longest lasting self-tanners that I have tried
    • It lasted for a good 4-5 days before needing to reapply.  Like I mentioned in my previous post, the Origins and Sevin Nyne lasted a max of 2 days.
  • The color is believable, but there still is little of the dreaded "orange tint" 
    • The color develops in several hours and, in my opinion, was tan enough for me.  I had mentioned previously that other self-tanners I tried did not give me enough color.  This was not so for this tanner. I was pleased with the amount of color that I got.  However, I did not try to build color daily with this tanner because I was afraid that I would be too orange with back to back applications.
  • Cost
    • Very affordable!
Cons:
  • One of the more difficult to apply
    • There is no color guide in this self-tanner, so you cannot see where it's going.  You have to be very thorough in covering everything evenly.  Also, it will result in orange kneecaps, ankles, elbows, etc. if you do not moisturize before.  The first time I applied it, I did not moisturize, and I learned my lesson.  I use Philosophy's Amazing Grace Firming Body Emulsion on my kneecaps, ankles, and elbows first and allow it to dry before applying my self-tanner.
  • Time consuming
    • This goes with the bullet point of more difficult to apply.  I found this self-tanner to be one of the most time consuming because you cannot see where it's going.
  • Small bottle
    • If you did full-body applications of this several times a week, you would run out quickly.
  • Smell
    • When you initially put on this lotion there is not a self-tanning smell associated with it.  However, after a few hours you will definitely smell a light self-tanning smell.  I found that the smell did not completely disappear even after showers.  This was disappointing, and prompted me to look for another self-tanner.
I was not satisfied with this self-tanner.  If I HAD to pick a drugstore self-tanner, this would probably be the one I would go to, albeit grudgingly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment